- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 2 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 black or brown cardamom pods
- 2 cups dried coconut
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3¾ cups water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- Pre-soak rice for an hour and then rinse well, pick out the dirt.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pot and saute cumin till brown.
- Add turmeric, cloves, peppercorns and cardamom.
- Stir for about a minute.
- Stir in coconut.
- Saute till golden.
- Add rice and continue sauteing, over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour in water, add salt, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked.
- Garnish with cashews, raisins and almonds.
- Serve with any main curry.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.