- 1 lb. grated coconut (reserve coconut milk if using fresh)
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of water (or the equivalent if combined with the coconut milk)
- 1 small chopped onion
- ¼ cup of thick tomato pulp
- ¼ cup of green pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- ½ oz of hot pepper, aji chombo
- 3 strips of bacon or a teaspoon of oil
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- Boil the four cups of water with the coconut.
- After two minutes set aside to strain.
- When it has cooled, squeeze firmly to extract as much milk as possible.
- Reserve the milk and combine it with the coconut water if there is any.
- Saute the bacon, green pepper, onion and the hot pepper in the pot where you plan to cook the rice.
- Add tomato and kidney beans with liquid and simmer for about ten minutes.
- Remove the bit of hot pepper and add the coconut milk, sugar and salt.
- Cover and wait for it to come to a boil.
- While waiting, rinse and drain the uncooked rice thoroughly and add to the boiling milk.
- Cook uncovered for a minute or two and then cover and cook to a very low flame until the grains are cooked to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.