Makes 4 servings.
- 1 pound large shrimp
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ¾ cup dry breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- mango chutney (optional)
- Peel shrimp, leaving tail shell; devein.
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting almost all the way through along vein side.
- Combine sherry and curry powder; marinate shrimp in sherry mixture in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Combine ½ cup flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and milk in small bowl; stir until batter becomes thin and smooth.
- Combine coconut and breadcrumbs in rectangular dish.
- Coat shrimp in remaining ¾ cup flour, then batter, then coconut mixture.
- Let stand 20 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 1 inch oil to 350°F in heavy pan with 3-inch side rim.
- Fry shrimp until golden; do not crowd in pan.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve shrimp with rice and with mango chutney, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.