This is a great appetizer recipe from Bon Appetit.
- 3/4 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (preferably Madras style)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend 1 cup club soda
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 1/2 cups medium shredded unsweetened coconut
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
Sauce Mix all ingredients in small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add egg and club soda; whisk just until combined but still lumpy. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour enough vegetable oil into heavy large saucepan to come halfway up sides of pan. Attach deep-fry thermometer to pan; heat oil over medium heat to 375°F.
- Line baking sheet with paper towels. Spread coconut on plate. Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dip into batter, allowing excess to drip back into bowl, then roll in coconut. Working in batches, deep-fry shrimp until cooked through, about 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.