- 1 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 oz margarine
- 1/2 cup dried fruit or candied peel
- 1/4 teasp salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour ( Baker's flour )
- 1 tablesp yeast
- Put 1 cup of warm water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast in, add 1 tablesp of the Sugar and 2 tablesps of the flour- Stir well with a for and leave to rise
- In another bowl mix grated coconut, Sugar, salt and softened margarine
- Add yeast mixture, flour and dried fruit - mix well
- Grease a bowl lightly with margarine, place dough in and turn once, then cover bowl with a dish towel and let dough rise for 1 hour
- After one hour, knead dough again, then divide into two equal parts and put into two greased baking tins
- Cover with towel again and leave to rise until nearly double in size
- Preheat oven to 350 degr. and bake loaves until light brown ( about 30 mins). Test for done- ness by inserting toothpick in centre of bread- if it comes back out clean, bread is done
- Remove bread from oven, turn out onto a rack and brush with thick syrup to glaze ( see Sweetbread recipe above)- Cool.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.