- 5 slices thin Westphalian-style pumpernickel bread
- ½ cup seedless raisins
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ quarts buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- Spread bread on baking sheet and toast until crisp, 30 – 40 minutes, turning once or twice; set aside to cool.
- While the bread is toasting and cooling, drop the raisins into a cup of boiling water, soak 5 minutes, then drain on a paper towel.
- Grind the toasted bread in a blender or food processor, then rub crumbs through a fine sieve into a deep bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the buttermilk, and mix thoroughly.
- Stirring constantly, add the buttermilk in a fine stream.
- Taste for seasoning and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- To serve, stir well to recombine and sprinkle nutmeg and cinnamon on each serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.