- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 1 envelope gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 fresh strawberries
- additional whipped cream
- Cook the rhubarb with ¼ cup water and 1¾ cup Sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan for about 10 minutes until soft. Strain and cook down the juice to ½ cup. Puree the rhubarb in a food mill or a blender, or put through a vegetable mill.
- Soften the gelatin in 2 tablespoons cold water, then add to the hot rhubarb juice and stir until completely dissolved. Add the purée.
- Beat the cream until stiff.
- Beat the egg whites until they begin to stiffen, then add the remaining ½ cup sugar and the vanilla, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold first the eggwhite mixture into the rhubarb, then the whipped cream. Make a collar of wax paper and fit it around a 1½ quart soufflé mold.
- Chill for at least six hours. Remove the collar and decorate the top with fresh strawberries and rosettes of whipped cream piped from a pastry tube.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.