This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Miller Estate in Wills Point, Texas in 1992.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ¼ cup bacon drippings
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 ham hock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 pounds fresh collard greens cleaned and chopped
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted bacon drippings
- In a large pot heat drippings over medium high heat.
- Add onion and jalapeno pepper then fry until onion is soft.
- Add meat and enough water to cover then bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook 45 minutes more.
- Check often and add water as needed to prevent scorching.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Place cornmeal in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt then mix into cornmeal.
- Beat eggs and combine with cornmeal mixture.
- Add milk and drippings.
- Using a large spoon drop batter onto greens then cover tightly and simmer for 10 minute.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.