In a 4-quart saucepan:
- 1 bunch collard greens, washed and cut in small pieces
- 1/2 Ib. Bacon, cut in 1- to 2-inches pieces
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 Tbs. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. black pepper and
- 1 quart water.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add: 2 Ibs. cabbage cut into 8 wedges and
- 1 oz. butter or oil.
- Cook for 15 minutes or longer until vegetables are tender.
- Correct the Seasoning to your taste.
- Strain before serving if water has not been absorbed.
- Serve in a 2-quart bowl.
- Ham hocks previously cooked may be substituted for Bacon, but save the water in which Ham hocks were cooked to use as the Iiquid for the recipe.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.