- 1 1/2 lb. shelled Conch, cleaned, skinned
- 1 med. Onion, halved, sliced
- 2 limes, halved
- 3/4 c. water
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- 11/2 tsp. minced shallots
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 11/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- hot cooked rice
- 1/4 c. unsalted, sweet butter
- Pound Conch 1/8" thick with mallet; cut into 11/2" squares. Place Conch in medium bowl; squeeze limes over Conch. Add rinds and water to cover. Refrigerate covered 1 to 11/2 hours. Drain; discard rinds.
- Sauté Onion, garlic and shallots in butter in Dutch oven until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, water, tomato paste, thyme, chili powder and Conch. Heat over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, until Conch is fork tender, 45–50 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve over cooked rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.