Serves 8. Use as main course.
- 5 – 6 large conch
- 1 small pig's tail (trim excess fat)
- 1 lime or 2 tbsp vinegar 30 ml
- ½ lb cocoa 225g
- 2 green plantain (sliced)
- 8 fingers okra
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 tbsp flour 30 ml
- 1 tbsp fat 30 ml
- 1 tsp salt 5 ml
- ½ tsp pepper 2 ml
- 1 tin vegetable soup (optional)
- Remove dark covering from conch (use lime juice to make less slippery).
- Wash and pound conch.
- Boil conch and pig's tail for 15 minutes (throw away water).
- Add 4 – 6 cups water to conch and tail. Boil until tender (use pressure cooker if available).
- Add cocoa, okra and plantain and simmer for another 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add sliced onions and brown flour to stew.
- In frying pan add 2 tbsp fat and 2 tbsp flour.
- Fry until mixture is dark beige in colour. Keep stirring.
- Then add ½ cup water gradually to make a sauce. Add this to stew. Taste and season if necessary.
- Add soup.
- Serve hot with white rice or serve separately as a soup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.