- 1 lb conch
- 1 tomato, peeled
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- sprig of fresh basil
- 1½ qt. chicken broth
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, slivered
- salt and pepper
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked vermicelli
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 or 6 drops Tabasco sauce
- Wash and trim conch.
- Dry the conch thoroughly, then pound it with floured wooden mallet.
- Rub it with lime juice.
- Cut conch into bite-size pieces and set aside for later use.
- In a heavy kettle bring to a brisk boil broth, tomato, onion, green pepper, garlic, and basil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about twenty minutes.
- Remove broth from fire and strain, discarding vegetables.
- Return broth to the fire and add carrots.
- Simmer for about twenty minutes.
- Add to broth the conch, pepper, salt, vermicelli and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer an additional ten minutes, or just until the conch is tender.
- Do not overcook.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.