- 15 okras soaked in 4 cups water
- 1 lb cornmeal
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 Tbs margarine
- 1 Onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- Wash the okras and cut off the heads and tails. Cut into cartwheels and place in a pot with 2 cups water and all the other ingredients except the cornmeal. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the cornmeal in a bowl and pour over 4 cups water to saturate the meal. Stir to make sure it is wet throughout.
- After the 15 minutes pour out about three quarters of the okras and the cooking liquid and set aside.
- Return the pot to a very low heat and pour in the wet cornmeal. Stir constantly to break up any lumps. Add the reserved okras and liquid a little at a time stirring to make sure the mixture is smooth. A coo-coo stick is normally used for this purpose - it resembles a small cricket bat.
- However, a wooden spoon also does the job quite well.
- Continue to stir and cook on very low heat for about 10 minutes. When finished the Coo-Coo should be smooth and stiff. Transfer to a buttered dish.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.