Here’s a creamy chowder without the cream — or fat.
- Source: Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Cook Time: 4
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp celery, finely diced
- 2 tbsp onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp green pepper, finely diced
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup raw potatoes, peeled, diced in ½-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups low-fat or skim milk
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, and green pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Bring to boil,.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook covered for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place ½ cup of milk in jar with tightly fitting lid.
- Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Gradually add milk-flour mixture to cooked vegetables.
- Then add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil and thickens.
- Serve garnished with chopped, fresh parsley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.