Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Ellie Krieger, 2006 at www.foodtv.com
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cook Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- ⅔ cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup whole-grain pastry flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced (about ⅓ cup)
- cooking spray
- ½ lb thinly sliced eggplant rounds (about ⅓ medium eggplant)
- 1 zucchini, sliced into ⅛-inch rounds (about 8 oz)
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced thinly
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine cornmeal, pastry flour, and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse to incorporate.
- Add butter and oil and pulse about 20 times, until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Add water and pulse until mixture forms a loose dough.
- Remove dough from processor and press into bottom and about ⅛-inch up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a detachable rim.
- Press aluminum foil into the bottom and sides of the pan on top of the dough and weigh down with uncooked rice or pie weights.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove rice and foil.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until no longer shiny and wet.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Increase the oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat;saut? shallots until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Spray 2 baking trays with cooking spray.
- Arrange the eggplant,zucchini and tomato slices on the trays in a single layer and brush with the remaining olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, and roast the vegetables until soft but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from oven and cool.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Lay the eggplant slices in 2 layers on the bottom of tart; cover with ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese and some of the shredded basil.
- Add the zucchini and shallots, top with another ⅓ of the mozzarella and basil, then the tomatoes.
- Top with rest of the mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and vegetables have further wilted.
- Remove from oven,let cool for 5 minutes, and cut into 8 slices.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional information Edit
- 220 Calories | 18g Carbs | 3g Fiber | 14g Total Fat | 3.5g Saturated Fat | 6g Protein | 240mg Sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.