The national dish of Barbados when eaten with flying fish.
- 4 okras thinly sliced
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cook the okras in boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While they are cooking,mix the corn meal and cold water to a smooth paste.
- When the okras are soft, lower the heat, add salt and corn meal mixture, stirring constantly with a "cou-cou stick" (wooden spoon) until the mixture becomes fairly stiff.
- When mixture breaks away cleanly from the side of the saucepan, the cou-cou is ready.
- butter a bowl, turn the mixture out neatly onto it, shaking it so that it takes on the shape of the bowl.
- Turn it out on to a serving dish, make an indentation in the top and place a knob of butter in it.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.