Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 4 cubed steaks, beef
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 (10 ¾ oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk, regular or low-fat/skimmed only
- 3 tbsp. solid vegetable shortening
- Combine flour and pepper in a shallow dish; pour buttermilk into the second dish.
- Spread crushed crackers on a fresh, large plate.
- Dredge steaks, one at a time, in seasoned flour; dip into buttermilk, then into crushed crackers to coat thoroughly, pressing with fingertips to adhere.
- Melt shortening in a skillet; add steaks; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove meat to the platter.
- Stir the mushroom soup and milk into drippings in a skillet; bring to a boil, stirring.
- Remove from heat. Serve steaks accompanied by gravy, then with rice and/or other side dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.