Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cow-heel (leg of cow from hoof to knee)
- 3 pt water
- 1 onion
- 1 strip celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 lb mixed vegetables
- 1 tbsp sago, or barley
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- lime juice
- 2 tbsp salt
- piece of hot red pepper
- grated nutmeg
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Scald, scrape, and thoroughly clean cow-heel.
- Cut it up and put to boil in salted water.
- Skim water and add chopped seasonings.
- Simmer gently for 6 to 7 hours, or to save fuel and time, use a pressure cooker.
- Peel, wash and dice vegetables.
- Remove meat from bone, cut into neat pieces, and return to soup with prepared vegetables and sago.
- Boil soup again until vegetable are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add parsley, a few drops of lime juice, and grated nutmeg just before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.