This recipe came from the Hartman Estate Sale. It was obtained it as part of the purchase of the Family Collection from the Hartman Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups water
- 14½ ounce can tomatoes
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon basil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 16 ounce package frozen okra
- 2½ pounds peeled, deveined shrimp, crabmeat, crayfish (or combination)
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Combine flour and butter in a heavy saucepot or Dutch oven and cook on low heat stirring constantly until mixture is light brown.
- Add garlic, onion and peppers then cook until tender.
- Stir in water, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings
- Then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Add okra and seafood and return to boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook another 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.