- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ lb smoked ham or 1 small ham hock
- 1½ cups washed, coarsely chopped,firmly packed callaloo or spinach leaves
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Congo pepper or habanero, seeds removed, minced
- 1 pound cooked crab meat, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic; saute for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, coconut milk and ham and bring to a boil.
- Add the callaloo, okra, thyme, ground pepper and Congo pepper.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally,until the callaloo is thoroughly cooked (about 50 minutes).
- Whisk the soup until very smooth or purée it in small batches in a blender.
- Add the crab meat and heat thoroughly.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.