Cream sauce meets Hollandaise in this delightful holiday dish.
- From Southern Living
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 8 servings.
- 1 frozen patty shell, thawed
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- dash hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- fresh parsley sprigs
- chopped pimento
- Roll patty shell out to ⅛-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 16 leaf shapes.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and bake at 350°F for 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Set pastry leaves aside.
- Combine egg yolks and 1 cup butter with a wire whisk in top of double boiler bring water to a boil (water in bottom should not touch top pan).
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly until butter melts.
- Remove pan from water, and stir rapidly 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, 1 teaspoonful at a time; add hot sauce and salt.
- Place over boiling water; cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan; add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in ½ teaspoon salt and white pepper.
- Add cream sauce to mixture in double boiler.
- Gently fold in crabmeat, green onion, and chopped parsley.
- Spoon into individual serving dishes, and garnish with pastry leaves, parsley sprigs and pimiento.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.