East meets West in this unique blend of cranberries with other fruits. Makes a nice change of pace from the traditional cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. Great as a sandwich spread with cream cheese too :)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup peeled diced apples
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Pour into a glass mixing bowl (acid foods can react with metal bowls).
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on chutney.
- Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate overnight, covered with plastic wrap, so flavors blend.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Use as an accompaniment to meats such as turkey or use as a sandwich spread with bagels plain or with a layer of cream cheese.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.