Makes 6 servings
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- finely sliced green onion tops (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large skillet (iron preferred) until a light haze forms over pot but oil is not smoking.
- Lower heat and blend in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat, until roux is dark brown, about 10 minutes.
- Do not burn.
- Add onion, celery, green peppers and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, crawfish tails, salt, black pepper, red pepper and pepper sauce; simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over beds of fluffy rice; sprinkle with green onions, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.