Makes about 6 dozen puffs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1½ pounds (3¼ cups) peeled, cooked crawfish tails, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup minced green pepper
- 1 teaspoonhot pepper sauce
- vegetable oil for deep-fat frying
- cocktail sauce or tartar sauce (optional)
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper and onion powder into large bowl.
- Blend milk, egg yolks and oil in small bowl.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
- Stir in rice, crawfish, green pepper and pepper sauce.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff but not dry; fold into batter.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into deep, hot oil.
- Fry until golden and puffy, 3 to 4 minutes; turn and cook on other side.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.