- Melt butter; add onions, stir to mix. Cover and cook slowly, 10–12 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Place flour in another pan. Add milk and seasonings, bring to boil, stirring the entire time.
- Add Onion mixture. Reduce heat to low, simmer covered 8–12 minutes.
- Do NOT boil, as this will cause the soup to curdle because of acid in onions.
- Mix egg yolks with cream until smooth. Stir 2 T. hot soup into yolks, stir, add a bit more hot soup to bring yolks up to temperature.
- Stir this back into the soup. Reheat carefully over low heat until slightly thickened.
- Check seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Serve with a few croutons floating in bowls.
Contributed by Edit
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.