This rich, earthy soup has but 100 calories per serving if made with non-fat milk.
- 1 quart milk, whole, low-fat or skim
- 1 small onion, peeled and stuck with 2 cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns (or more)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp rice flour (or barley or oat flour)
- 4 tbsp cold milk (about)
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
Bouquet garni Edit
- Tie the herbs for the Bouquet garni together in a cheesecloth
- Place the milk, onion, peppercorns, salt and bouquet garni in a saucepan and bring slowly to a boil.
- Form a smooth paste of the rice flour and the cold milk. Put into the just-boiling milk and stir briskly until there are no lumps.
- Simmer over very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut off the tough ends of the mushroom stems. Reserve a few mushroom slices for garnish and chop the remaining mushrooms coarsely, then place in a food processor with a steel blade and chop as finely as possible.
- Strain the milk mixture through a fine sieve back into the saucepan; add the chopped mushrooms and continue simmering 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and Madeira, if you wish, and serve in hot bowls, garnished with a slice of mushroom
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.