Fresh, citrusy and light, this creamed spinach pairs perfectly with lighter fare or cool weather entrées.
- 12 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup plain gluten-free soymilk, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons vegan margarine
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- pinch of nutmeg
- sea salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Steam spinach with a few tablespoons of water until just wilted.
- Squeeze out excess water and coarsely chop.
- Place soymilk, orange zest and lemon zest in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, until reduced by half.
- Heat margarine over medium heat in sauté pan and add onion.
- Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add spinach and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add reduced soymilk to spinach and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Season with a pinch of nutmeg and sea salt to taste.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (4 oz / 114 g-wt.):
- 80 calories (35 from fat) | 4g total fat | 0.5g saturated fat | 4g protein | 10g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 1g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 210mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.