Description[edit | edit source]
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 6 cups small Broccoli florets and peeled, chopped stems
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil, ghee or butter for garnish (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups tiny Broccoli florets for garnish (optional)
- 4 to 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tsp. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Directions[edit | edit source]
1. In large pot, heat 1/4 cup oil or 1/3 cup ghee over very low heat. Stir in asafetida if desired, 6 cups Broccoli, celery, bell pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until vegetables are very tender, stirring occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. In blender or food processor, puree broccoli-celery mixture in batches with 4 cups broth until as smooth as possible. The smoother the puree, the easier the next step will be.
4. Place large sieve over soup pot. Strain Broccoli puree through it, stirring and pressing out liquid with back of large spoon; scrape underside of sieve periodically. Do not skip this step! It is vital for a creamy texture. Discard any fibrous material that pulls away from sieve.
5. Reheat soup, covered, over medium heat, thinning with remaining 1 cup broth if necessary. Stir in garnish and season with Sugar, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve.