- 6 1/2 cups vegetable stock, blended with a 1/2 cup of lemon juice, kept at a low simmer on the stove top
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups sliced Mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 tbsp margarine (Earth Balance is best)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tbsp of the margarine in a large sauce pan.
- Add the Mushrooms, onions, garlic and shallots and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the rice and stir for two minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the simmering stock to the pot and stir until it is absorbed.
- Continue adding 1/2 cup of stock at a time, and letting it absorb into the rice before adding the next ladelful. Fear not! 2 cups of rice will indeed absorb 7 cups of liquid. The rice will begin to release starch and the whole mixture will take on a creamy consistency.
- Once all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is al dente, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped basil, the nutritional yeast, the last 2 tbsp margarine, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Makes enough for 6 as a side dish; or 4 as a main course.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.