- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Break french bread into about 8 pieces.
- In a large bowl, soak bread in milk until well soaked.
- Mix the bread around before adding the next ingredients.
- Beat the egg, sugar and vanilla well then add to bread mixture.
- Next add the raisins and stir mixture well.
- Grease a baking pan with butter ; pour the mixture into the pan.
- Place the pan with the pudding in another shallow pan with about an inch of water in it.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes or until pudding is firm.
- When cooked take out of oven and allow to cool.
- In a double boiler, cook butter and sugar until completely dissolved.
- Add egg, beating very quickly so that it won't curdle.
- When the mixture smooths add whiskey.
- If you desire a stronger whiskey taste add more.
- Cut bread pudding into serving pieces and place in deep dish.
- Add whiskey sauce to the top of the pudding.