Makes 12 servings
- 1 pound smoked pork sausage or ham, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 x 28-ounce can tomatoes
- 2½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound peeled, de-veined raw shrimp
- Cook sausage in large skillet about 5 minutes. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons pan drippings.
- Add green peppers, onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- Blend in flour; brown slowly, stirring often.
- Stir in tomatoes, water and parsley. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme and pepper. Return to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes longer. Fluff with fork.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.