- 1 lb. soup meat
- ¼ lb. salt beef
- 2 tbsp oil or margarine
- ½ cup split peas
- 2 pints water or stock
- 1 lb ground provisions
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp salt (less if salt beef is used)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- eschallot, celery, thyme
- Clean, wash and soak peas overnight.
- Next day was and cut up eschallot, celery, thyme, onion and meat.
- Soak salt meat for ½ hour before cutting up.
- Heat oil till smoking, lightly fry the onion and eschallot and set aside.
- Brown any lean meat but not bone or salt beef.
- Put water or stock, meat and peas to cook in a covered pot.
- Bring to the boil.
- Skim well and add prepared seasonings.
- Reduce heat and simmer till peas are thoroughly softened and broken down (about an hour), swizzle if necessary.
- Peel and wash provisions, cut into neat pieces or dice, add to the soup with salt and cook till soft (about 30 minutes).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.