This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Stewart Estate in Quinlan, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 green peppers finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise and put cut side up on a baking sheet then sprinkle with onion, peppers, salt and cayenne.
- Put 1 teaspoon bacon drippings over each tomato.
- Put ½ cup water in the pan and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining bacon drippings and brown flour in it then add milk, cream and liquid from the pan then stir until boiling and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Dish tomatoes on toast squares and pour sauce around them.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.