Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: dLife Chef Michel Nischan
- Prep Time: about 30 minutes | Cook Time: 4 1/2 to 9 hours
- Servings: 8
- 1 can (about 14 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 8 oz frozen cut okra
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- ¾ cup sliced celery
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut up
- 1½ tsp sugar substitute
- ¾ tsp Creole seasoning
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly coat 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, onions, celery, broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover; cook on low 9 hours or on high 4½ hours.
- Heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken; cook,stirring frequently, 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, along with remaining ingredients except parsley.
- Increase slow cooker temperature to high.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.
- The okra does not need to be thawed.
- To help ensure even cooking, I like to have the slow-cooker liner at least half full, but not more than two-thirds full.
- I add seared chicken last so it doesn't overcook. Searing the chicken in olive oil first adds flavor.
- I also add a little sweetener to the slow cooker to counteract acids in the tomatoes.
Nutritional information Edit
Per servings size: ⅛ of recipe
- 95 Calories | 23% Calories from Fat | 3g Total Fat Sat. | <1g Fat | 9g Carbs | 3g Fiber | 10g Protein | 21mg Cholesterol | 87mg Sodium
- Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat | 2 Vegetable
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.