- 1½ kg chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt (dry-fried)
- ½ teaspoon five spice powder
- 1½ tablespoons light corn syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 750 ml hot water
- ½ cup cooking oil for deep frying (add more if required)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced for garnishing
- Dry-fry salt over low heat, till very hot.
- Remove and mix well with five-spice powder.
- Keep aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Blanch chicken in this and drain well.
- Combine light corn syrup, vinegar and hot water in a pot.
- Heat over low flame till syrup dissolved.
- Pour over chicken till completely coated.
- Hang chicken in the sun for about 8 hours or dry with electric fan.
- Mix five spice powder with dry fried salt.
- Rub it inside the chicken and secure opening with toothpicks.
- Heat oil and deep fry chicken over low heat.
- Raise heat and deep fry 3-5 minutes or more till golden brown.
- Cut into bite-size pieces and arrange on serving plate.
- Garnish with lemon slices and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.