Crispy Gingerbread Cookies from the Wikibooks Cookbook—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Cook Time: 40 minutes | Prep time: 15 minutes baking
- Serves: 65
- ⅔ cup (~160g) packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup (~160g) molasses
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon (½ tablespoon) baking soda
- ⅔ cup (~160g) butter
- 1 egg
- 4 cups (1 quart) flour
- Put sugar, molasses, spices and salt into large saucepan.
- Bring to boil and remove from heat.
- Add the baking soda and butter and stir until butter melts.
- Quickly stir in egg, and then add flour. Mix well.
- Chill for several hours until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Roll out until thin on lightly floured surface.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook for about 15 minutes at 325°F (170°C) and cool on racks.
- Cookies can be decorated with Royal Icing.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.