Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living 2007 Family Favorite
- Prep: 21 min
- Cook: 4 hr or 8 hr
- Makes 12 cups
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 3¾ lbs)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 3 (14-oz) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
- ¼ cup butter
- 2½ tsp salt
- 1¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1 cup (4 oz) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream (optional)
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours until potatoes are tender.
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in whipping cream, cheese and chives.
- Top with sour cream if desired and sprinkle with bacon and cheddar cheese before serving.
Reduce the fat in this soup by using fat free half-and-half along with reduced fat cheese and sour cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.