This recipe's 12 hour cook time allows you the flexibility to go to work, come home, fire up the grill, and entertain guests-the beans will be done just in time for dinner to be served.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living 2007 Slow Cooked Sides
- Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 12 hr | Stand: 1 hr
- Makes 9 servings
- 1 (20-oz) package dried Cajun 15-bean soup mix (like Hurst's HamBeen's Cajun 15-bean soup mix)
- 1 (12-oz) package diced cooked ham (like Hormel Diced Cooked Ham)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (18-oz) bottle of hickory smoke BBQ sauce (like KC Masterpiece Hickory BBQ sauce)
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper (cayenne)
- Reserve spice packet in soup mix for other uses.
- Place beans in a large glass bowl; add water 2 inches above beans.
- Microwave on high 15 minutes; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine beans, ham, broth, and onion in a 4-qt slow cooker.
- Combine BBQ sauce and remaining 4 ingredients, stir into bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 12 hours or until beans are tender and sauce is slightly thickened.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.