Contributed by Pets Holistic Med Community
Pets Holistic Med is a community based on Holistic Pet Care Issues. Membership to the site is free. Also, feel free to participate in the Pet Holistic Forums, check out our free articles, web resources and our eBook.
Dr. Mayra Alfonso has published a Holistic Pet Care Guide exclusively available on this site. This manual is a must for pet owners. Be sure you know the facts about your pets health care options before damaging your pets health and well being with dangerous and risky treatments!
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat germ (I use honey nut wheat germ)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 14½ oz can beef or chicken broth (or make your own)
- ½ cup non-fat dry milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 beaten egg
- Dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water and let proof.
- Warm the broth to about 110°F.
- In large bowl, mix 2 flours, oats, wheat germ, corn meal, dry milk and salt.
- Stir in broth and yeast mixture.
- Knead by hand for at least 3 minutes. Don't skimp on the kneading time!
- Roll into a ½" thick sheet and cut with cookie cutter, or roll into a log shape and slice to desired size.
- Mix the egg and milk and brush on before baking.
- Bake at 300°F for about 40 minutes ( a little longer if they're big).
- Turn off oven and leave in overnight (the longer you leave them in the warm oven, the crunchier they get).
- Haven't met a dog in the park yet who doesn't love these all natural healthy treats!.