- 2 frying chickens (about 3 lb each) cut up
- 4 tbsp lard margarine or butter
- 2 medium onions peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp paprika (Hungarian)
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups sour cream (room temperature)
- tomatoes and green peppers are optional additions
- Wash chickens and wipe dry.
- Heat lard in a large skillet; fry chicken pieces on both sides until golden.
- Remove as cooked and keep warm.
- When all pieces are cooked pour off almost all fat; add onions and garlic.
- Saute until tender.
- Stir in paprika; cook one minute.
- Mix in chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper; return chicken pieces to skillet.
- Cook slowly covered until chicken is tender.
- Add more broth during cooking if needed.
- Remove to a warm platter.
- Combine flour and sour cream; mix into skillet.
- Cook slowly stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Return chicken pieces to sauce; leave on stove long enough to heat through.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.