- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tbl minced shallots
- 2 tbl lime juice
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1 tbl minced fresh jalapeño chilies - (to 1 1/2)
- salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 oz tomatillos - (2" wide)
- 1 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz potato-garlic or French bread
- 12 cup baby arugula - (8 oz) rinsed, crisped
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced Manchego cheese - (2 oz)
- In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over high heat, boil orange juice until reduced to 1/4 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool. Add minced shallots, lime juice and lemon juice, and ground cumin. Whisk in salad oil. Add minced fresh jalapeño chilies, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove and discard husks from tomatillos; rinse and cut into quarters. In a bowl, mix tomatillos with extra-virgin olive oil. Cut potato-garlic or French bread into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Set tomatillo quarters and bread slices on a grill over a solid bed of hot coals or a gas grill on high heat and turn as needed until browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes total for bread, 5 to 7 minutes for tomatillos. Let cool. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix tomatillos, bread, baby arugula, and dressing. With a vegetable peeler, shave about 1/2 cup thin slices off a wedge of Manchego cheese. Mix Cheese and salt and pepper to taste into salad.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.