- 1 lb potatoes red skinned, 3 cups
- Scrubbed, cut into 1" chunks
- 10 oz Pckg of couscous * or rice
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 med Red bell pepper, cored, Seeded and diced
- 1 med Onion, finely chopped
- 3 lrg Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lrg tomato, red, cut in 1"chunks
- 1 can Stewed tomatoes, 14 oz.
- 3 tbl tomato paste
- 3 tbl parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 can Garbanzos, 19oz, rinsed and Drained (chick Peas)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, grd.
- 1/4 cup tomato or vegetable juice
- In large saucepan over medium heat, bring potatoes and water to cover to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until tender.
- *Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions, but without margarine or butter; keep warm. (You can find couscous in the Pasta section of your grocery store, or you may substitute rice in its place).
- In a 12 inch skillet over medium heat, heat oil; add red pepper, Onion, and garlic.Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are just beginning to brown. Add fresh tomatoes, cook, stirring one minute. Stir in canned tomato, tomato paste, half of the parsley, and cumin, cook and stir for 2 minutes to heat thru.
- Drain potatoes, stir into mixture in skillet along with the garbanzo beans, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until flavors are blended, adding up to 1/2 cup tomato or V8 juice if necessary to moisten.
- Spoon stew over couscous or rice to serve, sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.