- Yield: 8 salads
- 4 medium cucumbers
- 2 cups cold flaked fish, such as halibut, bass, etc. (or use canned tuna or salmon)
- ½ cup celery in ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 slice American cheese per serving
- 1 pimento piece ½ inch x 1½ inches per serving
- 2 or 3 tomato slices per serving
- parsley sprigs
- Peel 4 medium cucumbers in strips ½-inch apart. Cut each in half lengthwise to give eight halves (or one half per person).
- Cut out soft centers with a grapefruit knife. Chop and set aside.
- Cut a strip from bottom of cucumber half so that it will rest firmly on the plate.
- In a 2-quart bowl, combine 2 cupsthe fish, celery and all the chopped cucumber scooped from "boats".
- Blend the sour cream with lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Add to mixture, blend well, and chill.
- Shred the head lettuce in long thin slivers to simulate "waves".
- Arrange on dinner or large salad plates.
- Place the cucumber boat on the lettuce.
- Heap the fish mixture to fill the cucumber shells.
- Cut 1 slice American cheese in half diagonally to form a "sail".
- Place in the center of fish mixture, narrow edge upright.
- Cut a tiny banner of 1 pimento piece ½ inch x 1½ inches and pin it to the center of narrow side of cheese with a piece of toothpick.
- Garnish around edge with 2 or 3 tomato slices and parsley sprigs.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.