Serve hot to 4 to 6 as a "slightly sweet and very mouth watering" first course soup. 4 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp finely-minced ginger
- ½ – 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 lb kumara or sweet potato peeled, and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup vegetable stock (also good with chicken stock)
- 3 cups milk - (about)
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and curry in the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat until the onion is transparent.
- Toss in the chopped kumara and cook for 1 to 2 minutes without browning it.
- Add the stock, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Puree the soup, solids first, then begin to thin with the milk.
- When pourable, return to the pan and continue adding milk until the soup is a good consistency.
- When ready to serve, reheat, then ladle into bowls.
- Swirl a tablespoon full of cream or coconut milk into each bowl, and sprinkle a pinch of fresh minced cilantro or scallion on top.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.