- 1 each fat-free broth or water (replaces the 1-2 tbsp oil to sauté with)
- ¾ cup dried lentils
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or put through a press
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 fat-free vegetable cubes
- 1 each salt to taste
- ½ cup raisins or currants
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds (use less or omit to lower fat)
- 1 large, tart apple, or 2 medium, diced
- Heat the fat-free broth/water in a heavy-bottomed soup pot, 2-quart saucepan, or Dutch oven and sauté the onion with 1 clove of the garlic until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add the ginger, turmeric, and curry powder and saute for a few minutes longer.
- Add more broth/water, if necessary, and the rice, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, bouillon cubes, remaining garlic, raisins, and sunflower seeds and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the apples and simmer, covered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Serve topped with yogurt and the additional raisins.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.