Cooked bananas give an interesting taste to any meat stew and are particularly good with the delicate flavor of veal. Treat them like a vegetable. Make certain that they are on the green side or they will fall apart in the cooking.
- Yield : 8 portions
- 1 cup onions
- ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 2 oz margarine or butter
- 2 lbs veal (from shoulder)
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 bananas
- white rice
- braised cabbage
- In a 4-quart saucepan: sauté 1 cup onions, finely chopped, 1 tbs.
- curry powder, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp ginger in 2 oz margarine or butter until light brown.
- Add 2 lbs veal (from shoulder) cut in 1-inch cubes.
- Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 lb tomatoes, cut in 1-inch wedges and 1 cup water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add 4 bananas, peeled and cut in 2-inch lengths.
- Simmer for 15 minutes longer or until meat is done.
- Correct the seasoning.
- Pour into a 2-quart bowl.
- Serve with a bowl of cooked white rice and a bowl of braised cabbage.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.