In Romanian: Bautura sanatoasa (Cvas)
- 12 qts / 12 l water
- 2 lbs / 1 kg rye bread
- 1 oz / 25 g yeast
- 1 lb / 500 g sugar
- 12 raisins
- 12 rice grains
- peel from half a lemon
- Dry the thinly sliced bread in the oven.
- Boil the water, add the sugar and pour on top of the dried bread that was placed on the bottom of a 15 qt glass jar.
- Add the lemon peel, cover with a napkin and let stand for 4 – 5 hours.
- Strain through a dense sieve, add the yeast dissolved in a little water, mix, cover with a napkin and let stand another 4 – 5 hours until the drink starts to foam.
- Strain a second time and pour in bottles.
- Leave two inches empty at the top.
- To each bottle add a raisin and a rice grain.
- Cap with a boiled cork and tie it with a string.
- Do this for all bottles.
- Keep the bottles horizontal in a cool place.
- In 2 – 3 days, the cvas is ready.
- Do not stir the bottle before uncorking.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.