This came from my Grandmother who received it from her mother who moved here from Czechoslovokia.
- 2 lbs cubed Beef, about 1/2 inch
- 2 lbs of cubed Pork, about 1/2 inch
- 2 tablespoons oil, to brown your meat
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1 cup chopped onions (preferably sweet)
- 2 (15 ounces) cans of diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounces) bottle catsup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 (10 ounces) can tomato soup (preferably Campbells)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red peppers
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon good whiskey (I use Black Jack Daniels)
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven (large stew pot) on high heat.
- Combine Beef and Pork and begin to brown in oil on all sides.
- When meat is browned on all sides add Onion; add enough water to cover the meat and onions mixture.
- Tie pickling spices in a cheesecloth or, us a metal tea ball only half full.
- Spices will expand while cooking.
- Drop cheesecloth or teaball into meat mixture.
- Simmer mixture for 45 minutes.
- Add ingredients from cans, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, and catsup; stir mixture well.
- Finally add all the spices as measured, the vinegar and the whiskey!
- Turn fire or heat to a low setting and simmer for 1 hour with lid on the pot.
- Check and stir frequently to prevent the bottom from scorching or burning.
- Remove pickling spice container and discard before serving
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.