Egyptian Savory Nut Dip
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serves: 12
- 1/3 cup black or plain sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds, hazelnuts or pistachios
- Rustic or country-style bread cut into 2-inch pieces
- Olive oil or plain, lowfat yogurt for dipping
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add the sesame, coriander, cumin, fennel, salt and pepper and stir for 5 minutes or until seeds are toasted. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Place nuts and seed mixture in a food processor then pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse powder. Be careful to not overdo it or the nuts may turn into a paste.
- Pour mixture into a serving bowl and serve as an appetizer by dipping bread into oil or yogurt then into the nut and seed mixture.
- Dükkah - Egyptian Savory Nut Dip from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.