- Season the meat cubes with salt, pepper, and sage, and dredge in ¼ cup of the flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the meat on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a heavy dutch oven.
- In the remaining oil in the skillet, saute onion, carrot, celery, and potatoe until lightly browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, add vegetables to meat in dutch oven.
- Sprinkle remaining flour over drippings in skillet and cook stirring, until lightly browned.
- Stir in the broth, tomato puree, beer, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, clove, and thyme.
- Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1½ hours.
- Pour into a deep 9 inch pie dish and let cool.
- When meat is cool, roll out pastry and cover dish.
- Cut steam vents in crust and bake in preheated 425°F oven for 30 – 35 minutes, until pastry is browned.